Relevant job, internship, volunteer, and workshop opportunities for the Arizona museum community.
To post a job, please send job title, job description, contact information, an end date or deadline, Web site address, and any other applicable information by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Institutional Advancement Musical Instrument Museum
The Mission of MIM: The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting,
preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and
performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun
experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional
musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse cultures by showing
how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director, this key position is part of MIM’s
senior leadership team and is responsible for representing MIM to the museum and cultural
community, and for meeting ambitious contributed revenue goals through a comprehensive
giving program of annual, major, institutional, and planned giving. The Director of Institutional
Advancement will be responsible to fundraise both for MIM’s endowment, exhibitions, theater
performances, programming, acquisitions, and general operations. Joining the MIM Team
means advocating for and assisting in achieving long-term sustainability of a premiere cultural
destination with a national and international reputation. As MIM approaches its eighth year of
operation, it is an exciting and pivotal moment in the museum’s history. This role presents a
unique opportunity for an accomplished fundraising professional to join a world-class
organization and exceptionally talented team focused on advancing the mission of MIM for
Highly competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with requisite skills and
• Advance the mission, vision and short- and long-term goals of the Musical Instrument
• Serve as an exemplary advocate in the community, with local leaders, museum
colleagues, business and corporate partners, and other leaders and key constituents.
• Be active and involved in the advancement profession and represent MIM in its Arizona
communities, as well as national and international venues, as appropriate.
• Develop, execute, and manage annual and long-range plans to meet specific fundraising
goals, objectives, and timelines.
• As a strategic partner to the Executive Director to create a strategic roadmap and action
plan for fundraising that includes key targets within individual, major, corporate,
foundation, and planned giving constituencies.
• Meet or exceed ambitious annual fundraising goals.
• Maintain a dynamic portfolio of high net worth donors and secure major gifts and
grants, performing to or exceed agreed-upon metrics.
• Identify, cultivate, plan, and participate in major donor cultivation and solicitation,
strategically activating senior leadership, curators, and MIM’s Founder as appropriate.
• Develop moves management system and key reporting metrics to drive and monitor
MIM’s philanthropic activity, in addition to providing related analysis and reporting to
senior leadership and MIM’s Board.
• Secure corporate sponsorships for events, theater performances, exhibits, and other
opportunities that include MIM’s key assets.
• Build and sustain Legacy Giving Program, including development of metrics and
• Chair and oversee the activities of the Institutional Advancement committee that
includes board and advisory board members.
• Develop and contribute to grant proposals and sponsorship requests as needed.
• Recruit, train, and motivate a team of fundraising professionals to support Institutional
• Oversee donor stewardship activities, including recognition, phone calls, gift
acknowledgments, pledge agreements, notifications, naming signage, and lists.
• Chair, organize, and manage the activities of the Institutional Advancement committee
with board and advisory board members, including quarterly conference calls.
• Prepare and present reports of institutional advancement activities and
accomplishments for the board of directors, MIM’s Advisory board, and internal
• Project MIM’s annual contributed income and departmental expenses during budget
planning and track actuals throughout the year.
• Develop fundraising policies and best practices that ensure appropriate engagement
and acknowledgement of gifts at all levels.
• Prepare remarks, letters, and proposals on behalf of the Executive Director as
• Participate in the development of future strategic operating and capital plans with the
Executive Director and senior leadership.
• Create and develop advancement-related collateral materials with the marketing
manager (including annual donor report and membership brochures), website content,
• Organize and lead efforts to create a culture of philanthropy with MIM team, Volunteer
Team Members, Board and Advisory Board, and Institutional Advancement committee.
• Identify and work collaboratively with various teams to execute fundraising and donor
cultivation event opportunities, such as exhibition openings, museum tours, fundraising
luncheons, concert previews, and other donor related events.
• Represent and advance MIM in the community at speaking engagements and events.
• Identify fundraising and donor stewardship event opportunities, and collaborate with
MIM’s internal events team to plan and execute advancement-related events.
• Minimum 7-10 years in a fundraising capacity with proven success in meeting goals and
motivating a talented team of fundraising professionals.
• Undergraduate required; Master’s degree desirable; Additional certifications a plus
• Demonstrated record of exceptional leadership and management of at least one capital
campaign, including direct experience in obtaining outright gifts of $1 million or more
• In depth understanding and competency with financial targets and budget goals;
incorporates financial analysis into strategic decisions.
• Experience using accountability metrics both for IAD in addition to IA team.
• Adept at working collaboratively within a team environment, creating a culture of
inclusiveness as well as accountability
• Experience developing high-level strategies to achieve organizational goals while
providing guidance to the advancement team on tactical approaches for success; Ability
to analyze market and identify external threats and opportunities and adapting strategy
to changing conditions. Ability to problem solve, work independently, and excel in a highperformance
• Excellent presentation, as well as verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to convey MIM’s mission and its value to the world community to various groups
and potential donors
• Positive attitude with a comprehensive understanding and appreciation for stewardship
Filling this position is a priority for MIM. For consideration please follow the link below.